Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:48:06 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 06:26:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> I'm sure some thought and planning is now going into the next
> DConf, so I'd like to make sure people are aware that the
> conference format that DConf uses is dying off, as explained
> here:
>
> https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era

It is a matter of personal preference, and a view of a modern-day
geek, in my humble opinion... I _highly disagree_. People go to
conferences for different reasons. You know, even though we
"computer people" tend to be branded as antisocial, there are
still many of us who prefer to see someone in person, talk to
him/her, meet new people, speak to them too, build the network,
exchange phone numbers, etc...

As usual with conferences not all people are happy - you will
ALWAYS have people who prefer more technical stuff, and people
who prefer more business side - people who try to promote their
products and services. - Conferences are brilliant places for
them.

Another group of people interested in conferences and meetups are
recruiters. My company found few new colleagues this way...

Yet another group are people who also want to see the town where
the conference is held - it is a form of tourism if you like.

Yes, you can have all that interaction with some
internet-conferencing software, but not at the level when people
interact with each other directly!