Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Oct 3 16:21:45 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 at 11:48:06 UTC, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 06:26:30 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> I'm sure some thought and planning is now going into the next
>> DConf, so I'd like to make sure people are aware that the
>> conference format that DConf uses is dying off, as explained
>> here:
>>
>> https://marco.org/2018/01/17/end-of-conference-era
>
> It is a matter of personal preference, and a view of a
> modern-day geek, in my humble opinion... I _highly disagree_.
> People go to conferences for different reasons. You know, even
> though we "computer people" tend to be branded as antisocial,
> there are still many of us who prefer to see someone in person,
> talk to him/her, meet new people, speak to them too, build the
> network, exchange phone numbers, etc...
>
> As usual with conferences not all people are happy - you will
> ALWAYS have people who prefer more technical stuff, and people
> who prefer more business side - people who try to promote their
> products and services. - Conferences are brilliant places for
> them.
>
> Another group of people interested in conferences and meetups
> are recruiters. My company found few new colleagues this way...
>
> Yet another group are people who also want to see the town
> where the conference is held - it is a form of tourism if you
> like.
>
> Yes, you can have all that interaction with some
> internet-conferencing software, but not at the level when
> people interact with each other directly!

Like most of the responses in this thread, I have no idea why
you're stumping for in-person interaction, when all my
suggestions were geared around having _more in-person
interaction_.

If you're still not sure what I mean, read this long post I wrote
fisking Adam's similar post:

https://forum.dlang.org/post/eoygemytghynpogvljwb@forum.dlang.org