Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Oct 3 17:51:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 17:26 +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]
> At least look at the first two bullet points in my post
> responding to Adam, because you're missing the entire point of my
> suggestions, which is that certain things like talks are better
> suited to online whereas conferences are more suited for
> in-person interaction.

In your opinion. In my opinion, online material is a waste of time, I never
watch YouTube videos, for me it is a waste of my time. But that is the point,
different people have a different view. This doesn't mean I am right or wrong,
it means different people have different ways of dealing with material.

I like a live presentation that I can then ignore *or* take up with a gusto
with the presenter, or other people, after the session. Conferences allow
this. Presentations are an introduction to interaction with others. For me.
Others prefer to consume videos and have no interactions about the material.
Personal differences.

Since there is a population of people who like online stuff, then online stuff
there must be. As there are people who like a live presentation and post
session discussion, this must also happen. The two are not in conflict.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200