A Friendly Challenge for D

Jabari Zakiyth jzakiya at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:11:08 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 00:22:10 UTC, tide wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 at 16:15:56 UTC, Jabari Zakiya
> wrote:
>> I would like to include in my paper a good comparison of
>> various implementations in different compiled languages
>> (C/C++, D, Nim, etc) to show how it performs with each.
>
> If you want help with your paper, possibly some kind of decent
> financial incentive would be appropriate. If the algorithm
> benefits from more threads than finding or creating an
> implementation that runs on a GPU would probably be the true
> performance test. CPUs have like 4-8 cores in the mainstream? A
> GPU has hundreds, though with some limitations.

I'm writing the paper anyway (just like the others), so other
implementations are icing on the cake to show implementation
variations, as a benefit to readers. Maybe if I set up a website
and created a Rosetta Code repo for people to post their
different language implementations, and offer a T-shirt for
fastest implementation. :-)

Yes, a GPU based implementation would be the epitome for this
algorithm, by far. This is actually why I have gotten the
algorithm to this implementation so that the number crunching can
all be done in parallel threads. (It would also be screamingly
fast done in hardware in a FPGA too.) However, I only have
standard consumer grade laptops. Hopefully someone(s) with
sufficient hardware, interest, and time, will take this upon
themselves to do this and publicize their results.