[OT] Is this a feature is any Linux terminal?

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Mon Oct 15 02:28:11 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 23:28:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> Was just thinking about this: I've often liked the idea of
> having a terminal emulator built-into my code editor, so it
> could auto-highlight errors/etc and do jump-to-line on ANY
> variation of build command, without having to set up a custom
> build tool in the editor for "the is the exact command to build
> my project". (Yes, Iknow that full IDEs...and even many editors
> support jump-to-line, but they generally don't support running
> arbitrary modifications of commands without manually setting up
> ahead of time a very specific instance of a command).
>
> But it just occurred to me: There's no reason any ordinary
> terminal emulator couldn't be written to do the same thing. A
> setting for a custom regex to look for, another setting for a
> command to run when the line is clicked on. That should be
> about it. The user's editor would have to support some kind of
> "editor --jump-to..." feature, but aside from that...well, why
> the heck not?
>
> The terminal emulator I've been using (Konsole) doesn't appear
> to have anything like that, AFAICT. But I'm not really married
> to Konsole. Anyone know of another terminal with a feature like
> this?

VTE can certainly do this. It's the library many people use to
embed a terminal in their app (or to make terminals, like Tilix).
You can look at the API to get a better idea of what's possible
https://developer.gnome.org/vte/0.48/VteTerminal.html. Click on
message is certainly possible.

I use VTE in Coedit but so far the only advanced feature is that
it follows the projects path and/or the editor file path
dynamically. Useful but far from what you describe, which is done
elsewhere.

I think that Konsole must be based on something similar to VTE
(i.e a library) because the way it's integrated in Dolphin for
example shows that it's not just a window that's hosted (it
follows the path selected in the explorer... oh i remember where
i stole the idea now...)