D Binding to GUI libraries

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 22 05:12:00 UTC 2018

On 10/21/18 1:29 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> No, D should not forget DWT. It's one of the few (they only?) D GUI
>> toolkit that has a native look and feel.
> Apart from GtkD on GTK+ systems, and dqml, QtE5, qtD, and dqt on Qt,
> and wxD on wxWidgets. Qt and wxWidgets pride themselves on being able
> to use native frameworks underneath – I have no personal evidence as I
> only use GNOME, I am not a good data point.

Qt is well-known for going to great lengths, and achieving at least a
certain degree of success, to have a native look-n-feel. (Regardless of
how well they may or may not have succeeded compared to wx). It is a
key, deliberate goal for Qt.

GTK, OTOH, is famous for its outright CONTEMPT for native look-n-feel.

It's even true just on Linux itself: Qt makes attempts to fit in on
Gnome/Unity. Gtk not only doesn't, but also unapologetically killed off
the most popular and widespread Qt/KDE-compatability module in *a mere
POINT RELEASE*. And then they proceeded to rationalize it. And not one
of them ever did move one muscle to rectify it, or even acknowledge any
possibility of making a questionable move. (And don't even get me
started on the multi-decade clusterfuck that is the GTK file-chooser.)

Qt makes effort for native look-n-feel.

GTK is INFAMOUS for having outright CONTEMPT for native look-n-feel.

There is NO comparison, whatsoever.