D Binding to GUI libraries

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 10:15:11 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-10-22 at 03:49 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
> Just to see what's up with this "Qt-based Ubuntu", which to me, is
> much
> like hearing of Mario on a Dreamcast, or Sonic on SNES...

Canonical got heavily into Qt (well QML actually) when they were going
to do a mobile phone. Lots of Go code. All dropped when the phone got
dropped.

Ubuntu is basically Debian with some proprietary stuff. So for a
(usually, caveat freezes) more rolling release Debian Sid is fine.
GNOME is the default but you can easily change to other GTK+ based UIs
or the full KDE and Qt thing.

I am guess Arch has a play in this game of rolling releases with GNOME
or KDE.

Fedora Rawhide like Debian Sid defaults to GNOME, but allows for a
switch to KDE. However Fedora Rawhide is, like Debian Sid, only sort of
a rolling release.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200