The State of the GUI

Guillaume Piolat spam at smam.org
Wed Oct 24 13:00:10 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 12:43:52 UTC, drug wrote:
> very interesting, I thought about it but without details like
> you

It's like solving climate change with ocean alcalinisation: it
seems doable, but will require unnatural degrees of
_collaboration_. Hence why it's difficult.

>> Every one of these packages can work without the others, and
>> essentially is not so opinionated.
>>
>> (Anything based on OpenGL would be hopeless I think. But
>> anything GPU-based and not OpenGL need some kind of shader
>> compiler which is also too much work. So I think for the
>> purpose of practicality it can be left as an exercise)
>>
> Why opengl based would be hopeless? Could you elaborate?

There is a host of reasons:

- Because every OpenGL driver is deeply broken. (i've been a
professional OpenGL developer for years)

- Because if you properly abstract 3D rendering you come to
something like bgfx, which is a multi man-years project in
itself. Because bgfx is not a simple API but the 2D APIs are. If
bgfx had a shader compiler embedded at runtime it will be a good
solution, for now it's an offline tool hence coupling is huge.

- OpenGL does not "work everywhere". It's deprecated on macOS. In
general portable APIs don't make any giant any money: the trend
is fragmentation hence why abstraction over specific APIs is a
must: that's where Unity was better than anyone else.