The State of the GUI

drug drug2004 at bk.ru
Wed Oct 24 13:13:53 UTC 2018

24.10.2018 16:00, Guillaume Piolat пишет:
> On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 12:43:52 UTC, drug wrote:
>> very interesting, I thought about it but without details like you
>
> It's like solving climate change with ocean alcalinisation: it seems
> doable, but will require unnatural degrees of _collaboration_. Hence why
> it's difficult.
Unfortunately, I am totally agree. In fact collaboration will be really
difficult.

> There is a host of reasons:
>
> - Because every OpenGL driver is deeply broken. (i've been a
> professional OpenGL developer for years)
>
> - Because if you properly abstract 3D rendering you come to something
> like bgfx, which is a multi man-years project in itself. Because bgfx is
> not a simple API but the 2D APIs are. If bgfx had a shader compiler
> embedded at runtime it will be a good solution, for now it's an offline
> tool hence coupling is huge.
>
> - OpenGL does not "work everywhere". It's deprecated on macOS. In
> general portable APIs don't make any giant any money: the trend is
> fragmentation hence why abstraction over specific APIs is a must: that's
> where Unity was better than anyone else.

So, nothing specific to OpenGL (it can be related to any other
technology). But in general I am agree with again - renderer shouldn't
be fixed. I recently started using `nuklear`, immediate gui c library.
it's totally platform and renderer agnostic. We could use this way.