The State of the GUI

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Sun Oct 28 07:03:22 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 at 08:06:32 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> You can never expand your market-share by focusing on a
> shrinking market. And there are two ways a market segment can
> shrink (absolute). It can get smaller itself (absolute), or it
> can just not grow while the overall market expands (relative).
> I think native toolkits are shrinking relative to the overall
> market. But either way, never chase the shrinking market.
> Especially when the tool that supports the growing market is a
> superset of the shrinking tool.

When reading this thread, I was going to make the same point
about shrinking markets, except towards the opposite aim that the
GUI toolkit market itself is not worth pursuing. The software
market that is actually growing worldwide is one stripped of
chrome, where you simply build a software service on an existing
text or voice-based platform, like WeChat in China or
Alexa/Google-Assistant in the west:

https://qz.com/1331650/an-app-built-just-for-wechat-hints-at-googles-new-china-plan/

Attempts have been made to replicate WeChat's success in other
countries, such as with the Google Assistant, Allo, or Siri, but
obviously it hasn't taken off in the US... yet:

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/time-to-ditch-texting/

Everybody believes that is just a matter of time though, and with
speakers and other home-based connected hardware taking off, the
importance of voice-driven software interaction is only
increasing. That's why people are now writing strategic analyses
of how the big players are doing in this fast-growing and
important market:

https://stratechery.com/2018/the-battle-for-the-home/

Building your own GUI toolkit is very much an '80s or '90s
mindset, back when that was paramount. It isn't anymore, and
would be a waste of time to try with D.

Of course, there's always going to be a small and lucrative niche
of people using old-fashioned apps written with a GUI toolkit,
just as there's still people running COBOL, so if you really want
to build for that shrinking market, go for it. But I think it
would be a mistake for the D community to spend too much of its
meager resources on that backward-looking market.