This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Mon Sep 3 11:55:09 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 1 September 2018 at 11:32:32 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> I think that his point was more that it's sometimes argued that
> software engineering really isn't engineering in the classical
> sense. If you're talking about someone like a civil engineer
> for instance, the engineer applies well-known and established
> principles to everything they do in a disciplined way.

If they are asked to do so. In an attempt to be fancy, the sewage
system in my apartment doesn't have a hydraulic seal, but has a
workaround: one pipe is flexible. How physical is that?

> The engineering aspects of civil engineering aren't subjective
> at all. They're completely based in the physical sciences.
> Software engineering on the other hand isn't based on the
> physical sciences at all, and there really isn't general
> agreement on what good software engineering principles are.

Like in science, ones based on previous experience.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineering
> One of the core issues in software engineering is that its
> approaches are not empirical enough because a real-world
> validation of approaches is usually absent

That criticism isn't very informed. Also is the problem really in
how it's called?

> Issues with management cause other problems on top of all of
> that, but even if you have a group of software engineers doing
> their absolute best to follow good software engineering
> principles without any kind of management interference, what
> they're doing is still very different from most engineering
> disciplines

Because hardware engineers want to pass certification. Never
heard of what they do when they are not constrained by that? And
even then there's a lot of funny stuff that passes certification
like that x-ray machine and Intel processors.

> and it likely wouldn't be hard for another group of competent
> software engineers to make solid arguments about why the good
> software engineering practices that they're following actually
> aren't all that good.

Anything created by humans has flaws and can be criticized.