This thread on Hacker News terrifies me

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Sep 3 21:37:15 UTC 2018

On 9/3/2018 8:33 AM, tide wrote:
> Yes why wouldn't a company want to fix a "feature" where by, if you have a
> scratch on a DVD you have to go buy another one in order to play it.

Not playing it with an appropriate message is fine. Hanging the machine is not.

> It's obviously not that big of a deal breaker, even for you, considering you are
> still buying them 20 years on.

Or more likely, I buy another one now and then that will hopefully behave better.

I've found that different DVD players will play different damaged DVDs, i.e. one
that will play one DVD won't play another, and vice versa.

I can get DVD players from the thrift store for $5, it's cheaper than buying a
replacement DVD :-)