Dicebot on leaving D: It is anarchy driven development in all its glory.

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 4 21:36:16 UTC 2018

On 9/1/2018 4:12 AM, Chris wrote:
> Hope is usually the last thing to die. But one has to be wise enough to see that
> sometimes there is nothing one can do. As things are now, for me personally D is
> no longer an option, because of simple basic things, like autodecode, a flaw
> that will be there forever, poor support for industry technologies (Android,
> iOS) and the constant "threat" of code breakage. The D language developers don't
> seem to understand the importance of these trivial matters. I'm not just
> opinionating, by now I have no other _choice_ but to look for alternatives - and
> I do feel a little bit sad.

Autodecode - I've suffered under that, too. The solution was fairly simple.
Append .byCodeUnit to strings that would otherwise autodecode. Annoying, but
hardly a showstopper.

Android, iOS - Contribute to help make it better.

Breakage - I've dealt with this, too. The language changes have been usually
just some minor edits. The more serious problems were the removal of some Phobos
packages. I dealt with this by creating the undeaD library:

https://github.com/dlang/undeaD