This is why I don't use D.

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 13:27:48 UTC 2018

On 9/4/18 8:49 PM, Everlast wrote:
> I downloaded 3ddemo, extracted, built and I get these errors:
>
> logger 2.66.0: building configuration "library"...
> \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\core.d(1717,16): Error:
> cannot implicitly convert expression logger of type shared(Logger) to
> std.historical.logger.core.Logger
> \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\core.d(261,21):
> Error: no property fracSec for type const(SysTime), did you mean
> std.datetime.systime.SysTime.fracSecs?
> \dub\packages\logger-2.66.0\logger\std\historical\logger\filelogger.d(86,27):
> Error: template instance
> `std.historical.logger.core.systimeToISOString!(LockingTextWriter)`
> error instantiating
> dmd.exe failed with exit code 1.
>
> This is typical with most of my trials with D... something is always
> broken all the time and I'm expected to jump through a bunch of hoops to
> get it to work. File a issue, fix it myself, use a different library,
> etc. I'm expected to waste my time fixing a problem that really should
> not exist or should have a high degree of automation to help fix it. I
> really have better things to do with my time so I won't invest it in D.

3ddemo has one commit. In February 2016. I think it would be an amazing
feat indeed if a project with one version builds for more than 2 years
in any language.

I built it successfully with DMD 2.076 (I just picked a random old
version). So it's still usable, you just have to know what version of
the compiler to use. I'd say it would be nice to record which version it
builds with in some way on code.dlang.org.

> This attitude of "It's your problem" is going to kill D.

I wouldn't say the attitude is "It's your problem", but more that you
can't expect a completely unmaintained, scantily tested piece of
software to magically work because it's written in D.

In this phase of D's life, things just aren't going to stay buildable.
We are making too many changes to the language and the standard library
to say that D is going to build things today that were buildable 2+
years ago.

In time, this will settle down, and D will be much more stable. I'd
recommend coming back and checking again later. But I would definitely
suggest not looking for older projects to test with.

> There is really no incentive for me to use D except for it's language
> features... everything else it does, besides performance, is shit
> compared to what most other languages do. Really, D wins on very few
> metrics but the D fanboys will only focus on those.

Sounds like you have other problems than buildability, so maybe D just
isn't right for you. Thanks for stopping by!

-Steve