phobo's std.file is completely broke!

Josphe Brigmo JospheBrigmo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 18:33:36 UTC 2018

and the biggest problem is that I don't see any motivation in the
D community to make things better. Anyone with the abilities to
make it better in the right way simply does not care about having
a proper plan to get D to where it needs to be. Hence, it gives
me no hope that D will ever reach a status of usability that it
should have. What's the point of all the fancy meta language
capabilities if ultimately they are ineffective due to the
ecosystem of D sucking?

What I have learned from D:

1. It has an amazing meta programming language. Of course most
functional languages have even better but D allows systems
programming and is also fast.

2. I am the most unproductive in D. While I can write meta code
that does things 10x easier, it takes me 10x longer to code,
debug, and revision... not because the meta programming is
difficult but because the errors are pathetic(most of the time a
huge amount of noise is created in the errors making me sift
through a bunch of junk just to figure out what is going on) and
usually not even related to the real problem. Just miss a
semicolon and your program can explode with errors having nothing
to do with that.

3. No one seems to care about fixing these deficits of D but only
on making it more "attractive" on paper.

4. One can't expect a program to work properly, EVER! In other
languages, when I write something, debug it, and test it, I am
sure that it will generally work fine after and not have to worry
in any way shape or form... and when it does break, it is usually
obvious and easy to fix.

Be it some flaw in the language(such as what I have experienced
with the paths and other things) or updating compilers or library
features and it breaking something, etc.

All these problems, which are well known, and I'd bet you that D
has the most forum posts of problems dealing with these types of
things than any other language, are rarely addressed.

I mean, look at bugzillia... how many bugs have 5+ years and no
one has done a damn thing? And these bugs being critical in many
cases.

Again, this is the whole attitude "It's not our problem"...

Of course, once one of the hardcore D guys run in to the bug
after actually doing some real programing of real applications,
they might have to fix it and then it will get fixed.

It's not that D is terrible, it's that it's not great and it has
the potential to be great but either no one realizes it or gives
a shit. All you guys put in your life energy in to making D what
it is but won't put in the energy to strengthen the weaknesses.

When you get tired of D, say like Dicebot, you'll leave and some
other *idiot* will come along and have the same attitude and the
process repeats. This is why it's called "kicking the can down
the road" and why I used the term idiot(not meaning a lack of
intelligence but a lack of foresight).

And this is why after 10+ years of D not really much has
changed(even though a lot has changed). After another 20 years,
same thing. A lot will change, but the same all problems(the
weaknesses) will exist.