phobo's std.file is completely broke!

tide tide at tide.tide
Sun Sep 16 02:58:30 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 01:33:52 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 September 2018 at 01:19:46 UTC, tide wrote:
>> I guess that's why Bugzilla is a complete disaster. No one, at
>> all, is maintaining it. As there are only 2 people that can
>> really maintain it, and I don't see either of them commenting
>> on bugs to provide direction, at least very often.
>
> Well, I think that's looking at the situation from the wrong
> angle.
>
> Most of D's code was written by volunteer contributors, and
> usually the code's author ends up maintaining that code, at
> least for a while. So, when you find a bug in some part of D
> and can't fix it yourself, looking at who wrote or last
> maintained the relevant code and pinging them would be the
> first step.
>
> There are some things we can improve, like upgrading the
> platform or improving the categorization so people can receive
> notifications when someone files a bug in a Phobos module they
> care about. I've been slowly working on that front
> (https://github.com/CyberShadow/bugzilla-meta), but it doesn't
> change the underlying facts that bugs are most likely to be
> fixed by people who work on the code, not Andrei or Walter or
> any one person "in charge" of Bugzilla.

There are a lot of issues that aren't simple bugs that just
anyone can fix. They are issues that are locked behind
management. One's that are 4 years old for example, they are
probably some bug locked behind management. That's why they get
so old. From the comments it is not clear that a pull request
wouldn't be accepted to fix the issue. Personally I think phobos
should not exception for long file names.

Walters concern is that the path will change unexpected for the
user. Where does that matter for something like rmDir ? The user
passes a long path, and rmDir swallows it, never to be seen again
by the user. What does it matter if the path gets corrected if it
is too long?

As for any stored path, they can remain the same, as in DirEntry.
The length of the path is what determines if it needs to use the
special syntax or not. The user won't see any difference at all.
 From what I saw C# supports long names after a certain .net
version, you might be able to see how they implemented it there.
Parts of it are open source iirc.

Anyways there's only so many issues one person can chase to hell
for someone as stubborn as ./.