Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Gambler MyNickname at ks2.ru
Mon Sep 17 06:23:27 UTC 2018

On 9/15/2018 11:25 AM, Joakim wrote:
> On Friday, 14 September 2018 at 09:23:24 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 22:56:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:

>>> The usage stats are similarly overwhelming, two-thirds of digital
>>> time is spent on mobile, more for the young:
>>
>> Yeah but 90% of the time people spend on mobile is just dicking about.
>> Sending IMs, facebook, point and click games. And thats a huge part of
>> the usage stats, people can now spend more time online wasting time in
>> more situations than ever before.
>
> And people don't use PCs for such things? ;) I know a lot of people who
> did, which explains the 28% drop in PC sales since they peaked in 2011,
> the year after the iPad came out. Many of those people who used to buy
> PCs have switched to tablets and other mobile devices.
>
>> PCs are generally seen a tool to accomplish tasks, for word processing
>> or a high end gaming thing, audio / video editing, mobile is more
>> entertainment. Not many people are doing what you are by using your
>> mobile as a desktop.
>>
>> I'm not saying that makes mobile worthless, what I'm saying is that
>> your hypothesis is like saying TV has taken over from typewriters.
>
> More like when computers first started replacing typewriters, I'm sure
> many laughed at that possibility back then too. :)

Sure. Xerox production department sabotaged the initial release of Alto,
because they were invested in "smart" typewriters. But I don't think
this is a valid analogy.

Here is mine. PCs are like books, while tablets and phones are like TV.
TV is a more modern medium, but it's highly centralized and strips the
audience of control. A successful TV program usually reaches more people
than a book, but television has much higher barrier of entry for
creators. Moreover, while it is theoretically possible to learn
something by watching TV, in practice it's oriented towards "news" and
entertainment and _this matters_.

So should we celebrate dwindling books sales and multi-million ratings
of some morning show simply because the show makes a lot of money?
Should we encourage underdeveloped countries "skip" books and move
"directly" to TV?