Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Tue Sep 18 18:06:37 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 at 07:53:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Monday, 17 September 2018 at 22:27:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
> wrote:
>> On Monday, 17 September 2018 at 15:47:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> Not sure why that matters if you agree with Kay that HTML is
>>> an abortion? :) I actually think it's great that mobile is
>>> killing off the web, as the Comscore usage stats I linked
>>> earlier show.
>>
>> HTML is a somewhat open standard. I'm more happy with HTML and
>> Javascript, as ugly as they are and as dominated by Google and
>> Microsoft as they are, than having to target private
>> companies' frameworks.
>
> So you'd rather target an incredibly badly designed open
> standard than a mostly open source "private company's"
> framework that's certainly not great, but much better? It's no
> contest for me, give me the latter any day. And then of course,
> there's always cross-platform OSS toolkits like Flutter or
> DlangUI.

Thinking about it a bit more, the openness of the platform is
more important. Android and iOS are effectively closed platforms.
You *can* sideload apps, but it's rare to find someone willing to
do so. If you're not on the app stores, your app isn't going to
get a thousandth as much traction.

Windows, on the other hand, has long been an open platform; you
can develop for it and publish your programs and Microsoft won't
get in the way.

So an open source cross-platform toolkit controlled by a single
entity isn't bad. I use GTK+ a lot, for instance. But the web and
HTML is a better situation than Android and iOS and their
toolkits.