Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Sep 19 04:42:18 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 at 18:06:37 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 September 2018 at 07:53:31 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Monday, 17 September 2018 at 22:27:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> HTML is a somewhat open standard. I'm more happy with HTML
>>> and Javascript, as ugly as they are and as dominated by
>>> Google and Microsoft as they are, than having to target
>>> private companies' frameworks.
>>
>> So you'd rather target an incredibly badly designed open
>> standard than a mostly open source "private company's"
>> framework that's certainly not great, but much better? It's no
>> contest for me, give me the latter any day. And then of
>> course, there's always cross-platform OSS toolkits like
>> Flutter or DlangUI.
>
> Thinking about it a bit more, the openness of the platform is
> more important. Android and iOS are effectively closed
> platforms. You *can* sideload apps, but it's rare to find
> someone willing to do so. If you're not on the app stores, your
> app isn't going to get a thousandth as much traction.

I'll note that you wrote "app stores," and for Android there are
actually multiple. There's the official Play store from google,
the Amazon appstore, app stores for OSS apps like F-Droid or
Fossdroid, and over 400 app stores in China, where those first
two app stores are almost never used:

https://www.appinchina.co/market/app-stores/

Anyone can install any app store on their Android device and get
any apps they want, though as you note, most outside China just
go with the pre-installed Play or Amazon store.

> Windows, on the other hand, has long been an open platform; you
> can develop for it and publish your programs and Microsoft
> won't get in the way.

Though that is now changing with their new UWP platform, which by
default must be installed from their own app store, the Microsoft
Store. The link for the Windows/AArch64 device in my original
post notes that they expect most Windows/AArch64 apps to be UWP
apps, and so you'd get them from an app store just like Android
most of the time. I read that they do have similar allowances for
side-loading UWP apps as Android though, and of course older
win32/64 apps on normal Wintel devices isn't affected by this.

> So an open source cross-platform toolkit controlled by a single
> entity isn't bad. I use GTK+ a lot, for instance. But the web
> and HTML is a better situation than Android and iOS and their
> toolkits.

I don't think the app stores are that big a deal as long as
side-loading and multiple app stores are always allowed. Of
course, that's not the case on iOS, one of the many reasons I've
never really used an iOS device.