extern(C++, ns) is wrong

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 19 18:56:36 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 7:26:07 AM MDT Steven Schveighoffer via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:22:55 PM MDT Manu via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> >> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8667
> >>
> >> O_O
> >>
> >> Thank you Walter for coming to the party!
> >
> > Oh, wow. I sure wasn't expecting that. I thought that he'd made it
> > pretty
> > clear that a DIP was needed, and even then, it didn't seem likely that
> > it
> > would be accepted. This is awesome. I guess that he finally came around.
>
> I think a big part is that the implementation was done. I think there's
> a big difference between "I don't really love this, but crap, I'll have
> to implement it all" and "I don't really love this, but the
> implementation isn't too intrusive, and all I have to do is click the
> merge button, OK." I sure wish I had the skills to hack dmd, there are
> so many ideas I'd like to see implemented in the language :)
>
> Anyways, great to see this merged!

Having an implementation available hasn't always done the trick, but it's
certainly easier to try to convince Walter accept something that's already
been done than to convince him that he should implement something - which
really shouldn't be a surprise. I expect that pretty much all of us are that
way.

- Jonathan M Davis