Mobile is the new PC and AArch64 is the new x64

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 05:45:52 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 19 September 2018 at 18:14:47 UTC, Dave Jones wrote:
> Only if the new product meets all the use cases of the old
> product. Again this is what you dont understand.

Why did the iPhone, and after that the smartphone industry as a
whole, completely crush the classic cell phones when they have
such a poor battery life? Smartphones don't have everything
previous phones had. The pros simply outweighed the cons.

You don't need a new product to do everything the previous
product did for it to be successful enough to replace it.
I used to be all about being able to replace a phone's battery
manually. With basically any newer smartphone now, you can't
anymore.

Just because phones aren't doing everything PC's are doing
doesn't mean they can't overtake their market. All they need is
to have sufficient advantages over them, and even if you don't
think this is the case right now, the average user could very
well disagree.
Just like with removable batteries (which wasn't even a really
technical thing).