Updating D beyond Unicode 2.0

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Wed Sep 26 22:33:43 UTC 2018

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 2:49:39 PM MDT Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> There's a reason why dmd doesn't have international error messages. My
> experience with it is that international users don't want it. They prefer
> the english messages.

It reminds me of one of the reasons that Bryan Cantrill thinks that many
folks use Linux - they want to be able to google their stack traces. Of
course, that same argument would be a reason to use C/C++ rather than
switching to D, but having an error be in a format that's more common and
therefore more likely to have been posted somewhere where you might be able
to find a discussion on it and therefore maybe be able to find the solution
for it can be valuable - and that's without even getting into all of the
translation issues discussed elsewher in this thread. And it's not like
compiler error messages - or programming speak in general - are really
traditional English anyway.

- Jonathan M Davis