Generality creep

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Tue Apr 2 10:52:59 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-02 01:22, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> This brings us to Right Work.

I'm the first to say that I'm all for improving the code base. I really
hate how difficult it can be to convince management that a code base
need to be improved instead of working on a feature. But, to be blunt,
if you get what you want and everyone is doing Right Work as you
describe it, there won't be any progress. No bugs fixed or no new
features. I don't know how often you expect this Great Work to occur,
which might mean progress. Unfortunately the source code is not the
product, it's the application, the tool, the library or whatever it
might be.

--
/Jacob Carlborg