[GSoC] Improved FlatBuffers and/or Protobuf Support ~ Binary Serialization

Ahmet Sait nightmarex1337 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 20:19:21 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 18:27:05 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2019-04-04 18:43, Ahmet Sait wrote:
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFXDbs-LLsIW5nTIt8EZkNBq3N6vayaEw25IcuoGxgI/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>> Seeking some feedback, thanks in advance..!
>
> I think "Contributing D support to the upstream repositories"
> might be a hurdle. You never know how much time someone else
> will have to review pull requests.

That's what I thought too, but at least I want the project in a
state where I can make PR to the upstream, which is not a
clear/measurable criteria.

> "Using D traits, UDAs and static introspection, it is possible
> to generate flatbuffer accessors without a schema file"
>
> I don't know how flatbuffer works, but are accessors necessary?

AFAIU, accessors make vector (array) fields and backward/forward
compatibility possible. I'm still learning so don't count on me.

> It might be interesting to specify if you have any requirements
> that it should work with any of the attributes: "nothrow",
> "@safe", "pure", "@nogc" and the betterC subset.

This is something that came to my mind after the fact (since I
don't bother with attributes much), but I still couldn't decide
yet. It makes a lot of sense to provide @nogc functionality for
potential RPC protocol usage (not high priority right now), not
sure about the others.