Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 14:57:23 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 14:24:05 UTC, Chris wrote:

> Mind you, the first thing a lot of people ask is "Can I use it
> on mobile and is it painless to do so?". This is the reality of
> things. Kotlin devs realized that. Language adoption is not
> _only_ about language features, it's about usefulness too. This
> is why they simplified Scala.

I don't think the language features that have been worked on
lately are because mobile/JS/ect would be considered less
important. Quite the contrary for many of them, I give you
examples:

-The idea behind -dip1008 is to eliminate reliance of the garbage
collector when doing exception handling. If it, or something
similar, will be succesful, that means you can use exceptions on
precise real-time enviroments, that can't afford the GC. And you
can do that without doing any special memory handling. For me,
that's exactly what counts towards portability and usefulness on
different platforms.

-Sebastiaan Koppe's excellent spasm library, that allows D code
on browsers, uses stdx.allocator (essentially the same as
std.experimental.allocator of Phobos, I'm not sure if they have
ANY difference). Currently stdx.allocator won't "just work" in
no-runtime enviroment, you need to do some hacks. But the point
is, that work done on Phobos allocator module, that hasn't been
around for long, is exactly what makes it easier to port D
outside desktop enviroments.

-BetterC. I don't think I need to explain this one.

-Interfacing to C++ and Objective C. No need to maintain a
separate C interface that always breaks when porting.