Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 18:19:42 UTC 2019

On Friday, 12 April 2019 at 14:44:06 UTC, Chris wrote:
> The question is: What made him leave?

A combination of him seeing the foundation as wasting money on
the idea of conferences, a traditional D forum debate™ that
followed, deletion of some posts by moderators, and their
refusing to go back on that.

> Nobody seems to care about that, which I find both surprising
> and sad.

I care, and was very annoyed about the response.

> He wasn't just a random user, you know?

I know, it is a great loss.

>> There are open PRs that sit on Github rotting, you have a list
>> of bugs that you added but you got no response or some
>> unsatisfactory response, you donated a bunch of money for a
>> goal that was not realized. Something?
>
> Where should I start?

I do the Pull Request management these days. Assuming your own
PRs: rebase it, then ping me (I'm a bit busy at the moment with
conferences and my regular mail client is geolocked (stupid MS
security setting that I can't figure out how to change so I
apologise for any late replies).

>> I can see that constructive criticism can be applied anytime,
>> this is desired and healthy. There are really annoying things
>> with Dlang management, I really hate the whole Interpolated
>> Strings debacle for example, but I see that there is wish to
>> improve and steps are made to fix them.
>
> D would have to be rewritten. It's become unmaintainable.

I don't think its quite there yet, but it is getting dangerously
close to the brink, hence the AGM for sorting this stuff out. If
you have any topics that you feel need discussing and are not on
the list[1] already, please make a PR.

[1]: https://github.com/thewilsonator/Dlang-AGM