Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sat Apr 13 13:50:24 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 at 11:20:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Closely related to the dearth of great contributors is the
> implication that we're blocking access of others to high-impact
> and leadership roles. Let me state for the record that I am not
> holding onto any seat, that I had to carry some roles simply by
> default because nobody else would, and that there's many more
> than two seats to start with, most of which are empty because
> there's nobody able and willing to take them. The folks whom I
> invited privately declined, thankfully save for Mike.
>
> Regarding some posters' discontent over poor performance of the
> leadership/management. Speaking only of myself, let me state
> for the record that I hold absolutely no illusion of my
> performance as a leader in this community. Without being
> dramatic I reckon I'm unfit for leadership. (Most certainly not
> for lack of trying, but that doesn't matter.) An A leader
> should get A+ people to follow. We don't have enough of those.

I said a few months ago that one cannot be leader and developer
at the same time, because one will inevitably under-perform in
one of the two departments, or in both. And unless you are
supernaturally disciplined your personal preferences will creep
in. The impression I have is that you and Walter are interested
in one particular aspect that may be interesting and rewarding to
work on and this aspect becomes top priority - just because you
*can*. You are the leaders after all, nobody can tell you what to
do. And the aspect you're interested in may change according to
the latest discussions in CS, if Go or Rust has it, D needs it
immediately. How often have I heard sentences like "This is the
future of programming! This is the way to go!"? But this approach
has created a solid mess. Half baked features. You use the actual
D release as a playground instead of having a D Lab or D
Experimental implementation. With something like that a lot of
pitfalls could have been avoided and users wouldn't feel like
guinea pigs.

Often less attractive features are not only neglected but
regarded as beneath D as they belong to the realms of "mediocre
coders who use Java, cough cough". But in the real world
programmers need to get things done and competitors don't sleep.
If a customer wants an app you cannot tell him / her that the
language you're using is "too good" for that.

When I look at new languages, what are the features I look for? C
interop, cross platform and *ease of use*. Many new languages are
designed with all-round usefulness in mind and the devs try to
make it as easy as possible for users. This is very important as
it boosts productivity. Also, programmers just don't want to go
through all the hassle of million compiler flags, complicated set
ups etc. Not because they're stupid, but because it's the year
2019 and what matters is the code and the product. Why would I
use two stones to light a fire when I can just use a lighter?

One thing regarding the number of downloads. That doesn't tell
you much. First, I often download languages out of curiosity, but
do I use them? No. Second, I've often downloaded libs etc. in D
but once they break, I have to stop using them. I have a
graveyard on my machine. So the number of downloads does not
necessarily tell you whether the language / library is actually
being used.

It's too high a risk to use D in the real world. Imagine how a
user feels when s/he reads on the forum that there will be yet
another change that might break old code or that D / Phobos will
now be rewritten. It's just mad.