Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sun Apr 14 08:00:16 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 05:35:41 UTC, silentwatcher wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 04:48:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>
> i think there are some other things you don't understand yet.
> why they think it should be forked.
> you guys made lab experiment of it instead of finding out what
> the real world programming needs. why are people dissatisfied?
> stop finding all those mediocre things/solutions like help here
> or do that. i admire the gdc project but i would not use it.
> my experience is, that programmers (at work) look at D and are
> afraid of using it. to large, to many features that are nice
> but nobody needs, web like syntax, the GC and after reading in
> the forum, they are even more afraid to use an unstructured
> experiment.
> then there no tools, libraries etc., just visuald and that is
> the only reason why some try D for a short time.
> well now will tell us again - write the tools/libraries, but in
> a business you don't have the time to do that. all those things
> come with c++, c# or java. why should i invest time and money
> into D?
> no time to experiment.
> i like D, followed it for a long, long time, but it turned into
> a moloch. some of us still use D1 for little tasks. i hope
> somebody takes D1, strips the gc, adds templates, cleans up
> this mess and forgets about the rest of the bloat.

I am working in the "business" 9 to 5 and I can say 90% of what
you write is just wrong. It seems you had a look 5 years ago at D
and all the improvements and community effort since then you
haven't noticed.
The D Language is used at companies and the tooling, libraries
have greatly improved. I enjoy every day I can write D coding at
work because it works so much better than other languages.

Please take the time to validate what you say.

Kind regards
Andre