DUB - call to arms

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 11:38:23 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 11:21:09 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> Dub has a working eco system and a lot of developers put effort
> into it. It will take years to have another solution with the
> same functionality like Dub and please do not forget we still
> have to maintain Dub until the new solution can replace Dub.
> Could you please write the details why a correction of Dub
> isn't possible and a complete rewrite is the only solution?

Don't mistake me, DUB is a good software that is very useful and
that's a feat for a build system - something very easy to hate.

A lot of things are possible incrementally, but I believe in the
DUB design some things will not be possible.

- dub.selections.json is supposed to encode dependency
resolution, but fundamentally it does that for a particular
optional dependencies selections set and configuration.

- I personally think it has way to many features, and in such
situations it's way harder to find those to remove because
agreement is difficult

- work is piling on for DUB because it is designed in a way that
say yes to everything, features have piled on with no regards for
who would maintain them

Withing DUB there is a much simpler subset to be discovered I
believe. For the record I was an early contributor, I did what I
could.