DUB - call to arms

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 13:40:51 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 10:53:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
> 1) Would this be sth. you would consider applying in general?
> If not what could we do to improve this?
> 2) Would this be sth. you would consider donating to?

No and no. Dub delivers negative value for my use-case; it is a
cost to me to maintain these definition files for other people
(and it is a support pain too, which people dropping in having
dub problems that don't exist in the underlying compiler), even
though I don't use it.

I don't use it because it offers nothing of value to me; it
solves a problem I don't even have (and does so in a way that is
mostly incompatible with my existing code). It is all negative
with nothing in the positive column to balance it out.

I'd say we split dub up into three concerns:

1) code.dlang.org. I do see some value in this, and think it is
salvageable in its current form.

2) dub, the package manager. Maybe useful, though I don't
personally believe in dependencies, I can see some value, though
I'd want to change it so it has more compatibility with other
workflows (like mine) and be sure to limit its scope to developer
use-cases; end users should never know.

3) dub, the build tool. I'd rather have it either do absolutely
nothing here, or just delegate to something else.

I gotta run, might write more later.