DUB - call to arms

JN 666total at wp.pl
Sun Apr 14 20:09:17 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 11:21:09 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> Dub has a working eco system and a lot of developers put effort
> into it. It will take years to have another solution with the
> same functionality like Dub and please do not forget we still
> have to maintain Dub until the new solution can replace Dub.
> Could you please write the details why a correction of Dub
> isn't possible and a complete rewrite is the only solution?

I think on the ecosystem side, dub is the #1 thing that ever came
to D. I remember what life was before dub. First of all, there
was no central repository, so it was hard to find a package
you're interested in to begin with. Secondly, every package
required additional steps to download dependencies, usually
through a bash script. Then you had to roll a dice which build
tool it expects, will it be bud, dsss, maybe makefiles, maybe
something else? Oh, and if you were on Windows, you were screwed
99% of time, because the author loves bash and never tested it on
non-POSIX platforms.

Right now the situation is soo much better. I can download a
random project from the internet, type dub build and it just
works. It will download and build necessary dependencies and then
build the project, usually without any manual steps involved.

Personally I haven't really encountered these pain points with D,
so it's hard for me to say if it's a cause I'd donate to, but I
think anything related to improving Dub is crucial for D
ecosystem to flourish.