DUB - call to arms

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 08:12:36 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 11:38:23 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 11:21:09 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>>
>> Dub has a working eco system and a lot of developers put
>> effort into it. It will take years to have another solution
>> with the same functionality like Dub and please do not forget
>> we still have to maintain Dub until the new solution can
>> replace Dub.
>> Could you please write the details why a correction of Dub
>> isn't possible and a complete rewrite is the only solution?
>>

> Don't mistake me, DUB is a good software that is very useful
> and that's a feat for a build system - something very easy to
> hate.
>
> A lot of things are possible incrementally, but I believe in
> the DUB design some things will not be possible.
>
> - dub.selections.json is supposed to encode dependency
> resolution, but fundamentally it does that for a particular
> optional dependencies selections set and configuration.
>
> - I personally think it has way to many features, and in such
> situations it's way harder to find those to remove because
> agreement is difficult
>
> - work is piling on for DUB because it is designed in a way
> that say yes to everything, features have piled on with no
> regards for who would maintain them
>
> Withing DUB there is a much simpler subset to be discovered I
> believe. For the record I was an early contributor, I did what
> I could.

+1 to all your points, including your previous post on this
thread.

FWIW, I'm currently writing code to use dub as a library and
bypass most of it.

Rewriting from scratch isn't feasible - it has to be bug
compatible. But reusing the parts that get information from
packages and ignoring everything else...