Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Apr 14 20:44:03 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 19:28:54 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Compiling to C is a good option, but Walter has always been
> very much against it.

LLVM support is more important I think, which D already has which
is great. The question is if the project is going to spend
resources on maintaining the code generator in DMD. My opinion is
that we could stop maintaining it and go full LLVM.

>> Rust goes nuts if you talk to any other language.
>
> Really? It interfaces with C doesn't it?

Rust supports C interoperability, not C++. There are some third
party libraries for COM support. As soon you cast to a pointer
which you often do when calling C interfaces, Rust looses track
of the memory and you need to manage it yourself. What you can is
to transmute back again after the call. Strange design decision
as most are of const void* type or similar doing nothing to the
memory.