Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Apr 14 20:48:44 UTC 2019

On 4/14/19 2:09 PM, IGotD- wrote:
> That in mind it is absolute killer feature of D to have a C/C++ FFI that
> many other languages don't have.

I agree, and sadly it's not a popular enough opinion. A couple of years
ago I called on the phone two of our most promising contributors who
asked what they should help with, and pitched the core.stdcpp project.
They both declined it. No hard feelings - we're grateful enough they
chose to do other things within the D milieu -, but it goes to show
that planning and "finding a guy" and telling people what to work on is
easier said than done, at least for me. I'm glad Manu has taken point on
that, wished he got wider help.