Has D failed? ( unpopular opinion but I think yes )

Rose rose at sarajevo.com
Sun Apr 14 22:57:48 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 19:13:19 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 April 2019 at 15:16:09 UTC, Tourist wrote:
>> I'm going by what I see in the discussion and the links shown,
>> not familiar with the codebase. YMMV.
>>
>> Walter refactors on timeless programming principles, more
>> functional, more immutable, more encapsulation, more
>> information hiding. You don't care for those.
>
> No, those are useful. I think that there are more impactful
> things that can be done.
>
>> You want to refactor file and directory organization
>
> Because we have ~120 source files in the same directory that do
> vastly different things and alphabetic sorting doesn't work
> when the files name need a 'd' prepended because otherwise the
> module name will collide with a keyword. Its a PITA to navigate.
>
>> fluff based on personal preference and fads.
>
> I'm certainly not the only one who wants that.
>
>> The greatest mistake W&A did was to get contributors incapable
>> of doing original work.
>
> I suggest you do some original work (and some research) before
> you accuse others of being incapable of original work. FYI, I
> wrote dcompute, and most of the DMD/Druntime/Phobos PRs merged
> in the last 6 months went through me.
>
>> They bicker forever about reorganizations that do nothing.
>
> That you think the expected value of the reorganisations is
> zero shows you have no idea what you're talking about. I'd
> recommend dropping dropping that attitude until you do.

Argument by majority. Good Work.

I know od your work on dcompute. You should stick to that.
Language work and community work is different.

The past years of pull requests:
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2015-01-01..2015-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2016-01-01..2016-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2017-01-01..2017-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2018-01-01..2018-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2019-01-01..2019-04-14+

1149 in 2015
851 in 2016
934 in 2017
1789 in 2018
933 in 2019

Not great. But you say 6 months previous from now:
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2014-10-14..2015-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2015-10-14..2016-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2016-10-14..2017-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2017-10-14..2018-04-14+
https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+user%3Adlang+closed%3A2018-10-14..2019-04-14+

1710 in 2014-2015
1271 in 2015-2016
1399 in 2016-2017
2699 in 2017-2018
1717 in 2018-2019

You are earning 3000 dollars from our donations to bearly match
work that was done for free. Good Work.