DUB - call to arms

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 16:44:39 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 April 2019 at 07:27:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I disagree. The lessons, particularly from Cargo/Rust, and Go
> is that "small language, small standard library, large pool of
> trivially accessible dependencies" is the way things are going
> just now.

You can still have that (and more of it, as we can get more
library authors on board) if the systems are more compatible.

You can keep your `dub build` command if you must, but it should
just forward to some user-defined system, which is able to get
metadata like build target back out of dub.

So, the dub executable does four (actually more!), conceptually
independent tasks:

1) get metadata about package
2) download package for use
3) full dependency resolution
4) build

And I want to decouple those as much as we can.