DUB - call to arms

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Apr 16 10:14:01 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 16:44 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Monday, 15 April 2019 at 07:27:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > I disagree. The lessons, particularly from Cargo/Rust, and Go
> > is that "small language, small standard library, large pool of
> > trivially accessible dependencies" is the way things are going
> > just now.
>
> You can still have that (and more of it, as we can get more
> library authors on board) if the systems are more compatible.
>
> You can keep your `dub build` command if you must, but it should
> just forward to some user-defined system, which is able to get
> metadata like build target back out of dub.
>

> So, the dub executable does four (actually more!), conceptually
> independent tasks:
>
> 1) get metadata about package
> 2) download package for use
> 3) full dependency resolution
> 4) build
>
> And I want to decouple those as much as we can.

To be honest this is all implementation detail about which most users
will not care. Most users really just want a single command with a CLI
or a way of integrating with their IDE or editor.

So with Cargo and Rust you have the cargo command. How it is
implemented really doesn't matter.

With Go there is the go command. How it is implemented really doesn't
matter.

If Dub is the system for D then dub has a command line, how it is
implemented under the hood really doesn't matter as long as it works.
And currently it seems a bit of a mess. Especially compared to Cargo
and Go.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200