DUB - call to arms

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Apr 17 13:41:43 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 17 April 2019 at 08:06:13 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

> Or perhaps people will continue to say stuff on very long email
> threads
> and end up doing nothing. This is the third such thread on Dub
> I can
> remember, the previous two ended up with no  outcomes other
> than lots
> of opinions in very long email threads.

This is a leadership problem. Notably absent from these
discussions are Andrei and Walter. This is a critical piece of
infrastructure that's not working, it's distributed with DMD, and
they're completely silent because it's not something they find
interesting.

If you're the leader of a large open source project, now is when
you step in and ask who is willing to put in the time to take
this on, so you can give one or more of them the authority to
make decisions. There should be a formal proposal that can be
commented on as we do with a DIP. Work begins, with a formal
definition of when it's ready to go live guiding those doing the
work.

Maybe we'll see something like that happen. Based on what I've
seen over the last six years, it seems unlikely. Instead there
will be long email threads by individuals that have no
decisionmaking authority, and everyone will conclude that they'd
be crazy to dump hundreds of hours into such a project. In a
couple months we'll have a fourth long email thread on ways to
fix Dub.