DUB - call to arms

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 27 00:37:35 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 27, 2019 at 12:02:58AM +0000, Basile B. via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> For dexed I have a project group that contains the 3 sdl for
> dmd/druntime/phobos. It's very slow to load... the IDE launches dub 3
> times to convert the projects to JSON and it takes 8 to 10 seconds.
> But none of the sdl contains dependencies, nor configs, build types or
> whatever...
>
> I have the feeling that dub does something stupid with the files since
> these 3 repos contains many.

Shouldn't we be able to just run a profiler on dub to figure out where
it's spending those 10 seconds? (or about 3 seconds per run.)  Seems
like something easy enough to identify, even if the problem itself may
not be so simple to fix.  We should find out whether it's CPU-bound,
I/O-bound, or network-bound, at the very least.

MS Windows: 64-bit rehash of 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.