How about a cross-compiler SIMD module?

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Fri Aug 2 20:59:04 UTC 2019

On Friday, 2 August 2019 at 20:38:37 UTC, Guillaume Piolat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The reason is that no one stepped up to add this support for
> GDC intel-intrinsics, but it is on the roadmap for next year. I
> can't contribute to D OSS all day, since I need to put out
> products made with D too ;

Hello Guillaume,

Don't take this as criticism to intel-intrinsics. On the
contrary, I mention it here and there as it is the best SIMD
library for D I know (apart from core.simd).

However, I feel like this should be part of druntime core and not
an external
library since core.simd already exists but is not cross-compiler.

> Do not underestimate the sheer amount of work needed to make
> "cross-compiler SIMD module".

I agree, although I probably don't know all the hurdles since I
have not made one.
I proposed the idea and I'm willing to put time on it, if
the community wants it. It doesn't necessarily mean that I will
be able to do it myself.

I invite people who have more experience (like you) to give
advice and / or help.

> so users of intel-intrinsics have to be patient or contribute
> themselves.

If the community is not positive on that, then my plan is to
contribute
to intel-intrinsics.

Best,
Stefanos