[GSoC] Dataframes for D

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 03:16:23 UTC 2019

On 8/8/19 12:49 PM, Prateeek Nayak wrote:
> --------------------
> What is to come next
> --------------------
>
> * The first few responses from the community were mostly regarding
> bringing binary file I/O support because of their lean size and fast
> read/write. I will explore more regarding this.
> * Time Series is gaining importance with the rise of Machine Learning. I
> would like to implement something along the lines of time series
> functionality Pandas has.
> * Something you would line to see. I am open to suggestions (^_^)

Again, thank you so much for working on this!
We will be excited to put Magpie through its paces in our lab, but it is
missing* a few key (really, basic IMO) features we make heavy use of in
pandas.

* I have read the README and glanced at code but not used Magpie yet, so
if I am wrong about below please correct me!

Since you are soliciting ideas:
1. Selecting/indexing into data with boolean vectors. e.g:

df[df.A > 30 && df.B != "ignore"]

1a. This really means returning a boolean vector for df.COL <op> <operand>

1b. ...and being able to subset data by a bool vector

2. We make heavy use of "pivot" functionality.

Kind regards