[SAoC] New proposal: solve dependency hell for dub

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Aug 12 10:34:40 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 17:43:06 UTC, Seb wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/51
>
> tl;dr:
> - I just proposed a  SAoC project that might be of interest to
> people interested in the SAoC
> - The project is about allowing multiple versions of a
> dependency in your dub project
> - It is vital for many projects (in particular: moving Phobos
> to Dub)

It may be a good idea to make sure that issues related to
single-version dependencies are fixed first, e.g.
<https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/1732>, otherwise we risk a
situation where multi-version dependencies are created
unnecessarily.

BTW, why is this considered _vital_ for moving phobos to DUB?  I
am not really convinced that Rust's approach is a solution -- it
feels more like a dirty workaround that will have plenty of pain
points of its own.