Building C++ modules

Exil Exil at gmall.com
Thu Aug 15 18:53:53 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 15:00:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 00:45:06 UTC, matheus wrote:
>> On Friday, 9 August 2019 at 13:17:02 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> From experience, it makes me work much slower if I don't get
>>> results in less than 100ms. If I'm not mistaken, IBM did a
>>> study on this that I read once but never managed to find
>>> again about how much faster people worked on short feedback
>>> cycles.
>>
>> This is bit an exaggeration right?
>
> No, no exaggeration.

Don't know any compiler that's that fast, definitely not D and
not even Jai.

>> We're talking about the speed of a human blink.
>
> Apparently blinks are slower than that (I just googled). It
> doesn't matter though, since it has an effect. As I mentioned
> before, latencies over 10ms on an audio interface are
> noticeable by musicians when they play live through effects,
> and that's an order of magnitude removed.
>
>> I can't see a great difference between 1 sec vs 100 ms "while
>> working".
>
> I can. It makes me want to punch the wall.

The difference is noticable but really not to that point. What do
you do when you have to wait 30 mins? I guess some people are
just less trigger happy and patient than others.

>> Of course someone could say if you did 10 consecutive
>> compilations, then 10 x 100ms = 1 sec while in the other case
>> would be 10 seconds, but this is extreme, you usually take a
>> time change code and compile.
>
> No, it's not that. It's that it interrupts my train of thought.
> I can work faster if I get faster feedback.

Wouldn't compiler errors do the same.thing, if not worse? Not
only do they interrupt your train of thought they require you to
think about something else entirely. What do you do when you get
a compiler error?

>> But overall I couldn't be bothered at all.
>>
>> Now imagine waiting ~40 seconds just to open any solution on
>> Visual Studio (Mostly used for projects where I work), on a
>> NOT so old machine, and like 4 ~ 10 seconds every time you run
>> an app while debugging.
>>
>> That's is the meaning of pain.
>
> I can take waiting 40s once a day. I can't take waiting >1s
> every time I build though.

Feel like you don't have to wait. You can continue to do other
things while it is compiling. I suppose some people aren't as
good at multi tasking.