DMD or LDC on mobile

Ethan gooberman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 09:32:05 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 at 06:58:33 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Right, it's not a 3-digit problem. It's probably a 5-digit
> problem,
> but in the D community, a 4-digit sum requires quite a bit of
> rallying.
> I think if someone (like yourself) who had the confidence of the
> community and a record for delivering were to take the
> challenge, we
> could probably arrange to fund it.
> Most computers on earth run Android or iOS, and it's
> embarrassing for
> us that we don't have a toolchain that works out of the box, and
> passes CI.
> We even have extern(Objective-C) readily available! It's such a
> missed
> opportunity!

So, I got hope recently that I'll finally be paid for some work I
did last year. Surprise, no response to my emails again.

But assuming that *FINALLY* comes through. I was planning on a
minimum of €500 for getting iOS/Android closer.

I don't want to just post €500 to the bug bounty though with
unclear requirements. Rather than saying "here's a big lump sum"
my idea instead is to itemise exactly what's required to get LDC
providing first-class support and attach a dollar sum to each
item. This way, it's basically just reducing it to a milestone
with tasks that require completion. And it also means more than
one person can work on it.

I guess it makes it harder to rally the troops to pool money for
fund, unless someone sets up a GoFundMe or something and has
complete transparency over where the funds are going.

-----

And since it directly relates to my first post in this thread.
The potential customer mentioned will become an actual customer
within a couple of months. So this leaves me two options:

1) Gamble (literally, by throwing money at the problem) that
iOS/Android support will appear very quickly so that their
milestones aren't hampered by D's lacking ecosystem support
2) Write the runtime component in C++

This middleware will stealth introduce D in to the wider gaming
world. But only if I can actually link and execute on the
platforms nearly 60% of devices in the world currently use.