DMD or LDC on mobile

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Aug 21 08:27:29 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 at 22:52:54 UTC, Newbie2019 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 at 19:26:47 UTC, kinke wrote:
>> I doubt anyone does.
>
> The Android LDC is basic work without need a lot work, the most
> of job need to be done is for IOS.
>
> IMHO, The job could be split into multi tasks:
>
> 1) add --arch|--march basic support for the ldc main branch, so
> any one Interested no need do the job again.  this part job
> require some LDC Professional knowledge so It need some guide
> from LDC team.
>
> 2) add basic ABI support with unimplement  exception for LDC
> branch.  or a CMAKE options to allow people twist themself.
>
> 3) implement the ABI and pass basic betterC  tests,   In this
> stage ldc already able to work for some project no need
> druntime.
>  I said before for this stage I willing donation 100$ for this.
>
> 4) fix the druntime to support TLS and GC.
>
> 5) setup the CI
>
> Most successful projects benefit from teamwork,  we should
> embrace more perspective of project manager.

Maybe have a look at Android Studio and their toolchain. For
C/C++ they use CMake and the output is in a folder called
".externalNativeBuild/cmake/". It produces the following output
(in my project):

- arm64-v8a
- armeabi-v7a
- x86
- x86_64

Maybe it'd make sense to look at the respective toolchains first,
Android Studio and Xcode.

Also, have a look at Kotlin Multiplatform[1], especially the
Android-iOS integration[2]. It compiles the code that apps have
in common to native and it uses the LLVM toolchain. Afik, they
modified it a bit, check it out on Github[3].

[1] https://kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/multiplatform.html
[2]
https://kotlinlang.org/docs/tutorials/native/mpp-ios-android.html
[3] https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native/