DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Final Review

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:32:03 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 24 August 2019 at 16:36:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 8/23/19 6:23 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I reiterate my previous opinion:
>>
>> https://digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/DIP_1019--Named_Arguments_Lite--Community_Review_Round_2_327714.html#N327755
>
> We have two competing proposals for named arguments. Walter's
> alternative has been consistently ignored, though I notice
> Walter mentioned it more than once. That would be totally fine
> if the proposals were better, but it doesn't take much to
> figure Walter's is obviously way better, simpler, and
> integrates beautifully within the existing language.
>
> This entire dynamics strikes me as massively counterproductive.
> Why are we doing this?

I kinda want to point out that neither you nor Walter have much
ground to stand out when it comes to complaining about feedback
being ignored.

When Walter posted DIP-1021, I gave feedback with detailed
examples in multiple occasions (in PR comments and the review
thread), wrote a draft for a DIP that will propose an alternate
implementation, and posted a type system discussion when I
stalled on a problem. I have yet to see any acknowledgment of
that work from Walter (atila gave some feedback, though it was
fairly surface-level).

I'm not saying I'm mad about that; but the way you're saying
"Walter's proposal is obviously superior. Why didn't the author
drop his DIP and make a new one based on Walter's idea instead?"
seems a little naive of how the process tends to go.

People usually don't give up on their own ideas to champion
someone else's alternative. I don't, you probably don't, and
Walter certainly doesn't.