DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.com
Tue Dec 3 21:11:49 UTC 2019

On 12/3/19 3:51 PM, Dennis wrote:
> Please answer this: Do you think there were good reasons to deprecate
> hexstring literals, or do you consider that a mistake / unnecessary?

It was great primarily because it was a built-in feature made
unnecessary by improvements to the language.

It would be a mistake to presuppose that hex string literals are a good
precedent, however. Heredocs have no library alternative. The DIP would
not be helped by attempting a parallel.

> Your first reply came across as "this is useless, please work on
> something else". That felt like a destructive comment. This reply
> actually has constructive feedback, which helps. Thanks for that.
>
> I will be more specific when talking about 'the grammar', give some
> more focus on syntax highlighters and maybe dive more into the
> precedent of reducing language complexity by removing features.

The destructive comment was actually more useful than one that prompts
improvements to this DIP. Even if executed to perfection the impact
would be null.

Let me ask this question: what would be a nice way to convey "this is
useless, please work on something else"?