DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 22:11:22 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 21:11:49 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Let me ask this question: what would be a nice way to convey
> "this is useless, please work on something else"?

If you truly wanted to convey that, you did a good job. But I do
wonder how you expected me to take that. I would not reply "Got
it, be right back, I'll e-mail Mike immediately and cancel this
DIP and terminate all my effort so far right here.". Not after
three comments in review round 1.

Even if this DIP is a failure, we could at least try to salvage
some lessons from it. Why is it a bad DIP? What criteria should a
language feature have to be candidate for removal, and why don't
context-sensitive string literals fit those criteria? What
sources of language complexity can be removed instead?