Github and enthusiasm

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:15:34 UTC 2019

Not the best metric, but Githut 2.0 allows you to look at which
language repos get the largest percentage of stars on github. So
the ebb-and-flow of enthusiasm for a language to some extent:

https://madnight.github.io/githut/#/stars/2019/3

So, if you disable all the languages and click D, we can see that
D has been very stable for the past 6 years. Which might be sign
of a loyal user base, given the amount of new languages appearing.

Nim seems to be oscillating at around the same level as D right
now. Difficult to say what the trend will be.  Crystal and Julia
as well.

Pascal is for some reason growing?

Rust has been very uneven, but there is a sharp increase over the
last year, good press perhaps? Whereas Go has been growing like a
straight line for 7 years. I suspect keeping the language stable
has been something organizations appreciate, more of a steady
increase than any burst of enthusiasm for Go.

Dart is peaking like a rocket this year (probably because of
Flutter).  C++ has a trajectory like Go, but at half the rate. C#
as well, but with less growth than C++.

Swift on the other hand is tapering off. Why is that? Have people
given up on Swift outside the iOS segment?

Functional languages like Haskell and Clojure seem to have a
negative trend. Maybe other languages are cutting into their
field (e.g. Kotlin which is growing because of Android, most
likely).