Github and enthusiasm

JN 666total at wp.pl
Sat Dec 7 21:59:28 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 at 21:38:16 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Is Ruby being swallowed up by Python perhaps?

Has been for quite some time. Ruby was never that popular outside
of Ruby on Rails. For the most part, RoR was Ruby. But RoR is not
as popular anymore, Python and other languages adopted similar
ideas for web frameworks and ate Ruby's lunch. Outside of
Homebrew on macOS and Jekyll, the blog engine, I am not aware of
any popular Ruby usages in the wild nowadays.

Unlike Python, it completely missed the science/ML train too, so
it will only get worse.

> So, Pascal probably has a very loyal group of users.

Pascal is kind of magical. It's been around almost as long as C,
has fast compile times, good IDE and GUI story (mostly as legacy
of Delphi). It also did many things right, such as no header
files. But most of its community is hanging out on several forums
(like the Lazarus project forums) and they don't have the social
media/Github presence compared to other, newer languages).